Monday, January 7, 2019

The Library of Comics:


The Library of Comics:


Few books were published in the 1940s, 1950s and into the 1960s with an accurate portrayal of the history of comics. One had to rely on old newspaper articles which are often incomplete or a handful of books that were later to be proved very inaccurate. But that has changed now. There are many books out discussing various aspects of the comic industry from its very beginning to current times. Over the last half-century I have collected many of those volumes which also includes runs of all comic books and comic strips which were never before available.

I will often beginn with the full bookcase or closet, but then give closeups. And because of size and shape some books are not quite where you'd want them!



Lets Start off with Marvels








Because they fit on the bottom of the Marvel Bookcases I have oversized books, including many Artist's editions.



Published by the Folio Society, I contributed to the above books, along with John and Nick Caputo.




























In putting the Carts before DC, here are three carts.  The first is Kirby and Ditko:






 Biographies and Stan Lee and Marvel









Cart of the History of Comics











Let's go to mostly DCs




















EC and the Horror comics of the 1950s







Archie and EC?

I know it sounds silly, but space is really my library's final frontier.  So I ahcve to fit things where they fit and Archie fits in here!









PS Publishing haas been publishing comics from the 1940s and 1950s.







Creepy and Crew


Comic Strips


It's Prince Valiant on the lower left!






















Various comics















Finally, Bond, James Bond






6 comments:

  1. WOW! What a great collection! I have many of the same books, but you got more of 'em! And I barely have room! Well done! I assume you also have tons of paperbacks, and non comic books as well. I have just stacks and stacks. I went through 12 feet of hardcovers this year, so far, that were just reading copies, now I can sell them or donate to a local charity. One question, how do you find reading the Marvel omnibus's? I am considering getting # 3 and 4, as they are currently on sale. They seem like they might be heavy. I have the two Ditko / Lee monster books, and the two Timely Everett books, and they seem ok to read. Anyway, THANKS for not only sharing your collection, but helping preserve comics history with your contributions! EXCELSIOR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Omnnis, but the Masterworks are much easier to read and carry around. But the Omnis are more affordable and often have many items NOT in the masterworks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had your wall space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I thought I had a lot. An amazing collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I look forward to rainy days!

      Delete